Practicing yoga is a great way to relax, get fit and get flexible. And the same goes for kids too! With so many great yoga studios in Portland, it’s no wonder that many of them also offer kid-friendly yoga options. From post-natal to family yoga, to a girls-only class, here’s a breakdown of studios that offer yoga for the whole family.
- Imagination Yoga. This curriculum-based kids yoga program aims to do more than just get kids moving. They believe yoga is great for teaching kids about compassion, concentration, relaxation, and how to be “boldly kind.” They offer yoga classes throughout Portland, indoor and out. Here’s their schedule.
- The Bhaktishop. Much-loved yoga instructor Shana Celnicker-Chong teaches a weekly Mama & Baby yoga class at this SE Portland studio. The class is a great way to bring new parents together and get you moving again, without having to be away from your baby.
2500 SE 26th Ave.
- Sellwood Yoga. Sellwood Yoga’s lovely, airy space in downtown Sellwood offers a monthly kids yoga class on the last Friday of the month. Aimed at ages 2-10, teachers Rosey and Annie will gently work through yoga poses with you and your kiddos. The studio also offer a number of other kid-friendly classes, including a yoga series for girls and camps.
7970 SE 13th Ave, Portland
- Yoga Shala: Shala Kids. Kids ages 3-6 or 6-10 can drop-in or sign up for multi-week sessions. These classes are aimed at engaging the heart, mind and body through games, mindfulness and counseling techniques. Seasonally, Yoga Shala offers a family yoga donation class on Saturdays. Bonus for busy parents: the studio offers child care for some grownup yoga classes, giving you a much-needed break and chance to get re-centered.
3808 North Williams Ave, Portland
- Creative Roots. Creative Roots uses techniques and curriculum based on YogaCalm and Circus Yoga, leaving kids feeling more focused, relaxed and energized. From Family Yoga to Mother and Daughter Yoga to Prenatal, they’ve got you covered.
2661 NW Thurman St.
- Stumptown Wellness. Stumptown offers weekly family yoga options for children ages 3-5 and their caregivers. Kids will be introduced to the foundations of yoga while practicing poses, playing games, and learning breathing techniques.
3235 SE 39th Ave.
- Southside Swap & Play. You don’t have to be a member to take a yoga class at this eastside co-op. A low-stress, low-pressure intro to parent-child yoga, your kids can participate when they want and sit it out if they need to. Drop-in, or purchase a pass for a discount.
Southside Swap & Play
5239 SE Woodstock Blvd.
- Roseway Yoga. Roseway offers a weekly donation-based Baby & Me Yoga class, perfect for nurturing your post-baby mind and body. Mats, blankets and bolsters are spread around the floor for crawlers and rollers to move around and explore on, and wooden blocks are set out for playing.
6529 NE Sandy Blvd #101, Portland
- Harmony Yoga. Bring your family together for playful poses, animated breathing exercises, and imaginative relaxation techniques. Teacher Heather incorporates music, crafts, books and props into each kid’s yoga class to spark imagination while developing coordination and play skills. Offered in a series, with drop-ins available.
2108 NE 41st Ave, Portland
- Root Whole Body. Family Yoga uses the power of storytelling to explore yoga postures and inspire body awareness for children and adults alike. Learning through play and curiosity is an excellent way to bring childlike-wonder and joy to the yoga experience. Family yoga is tailored for children ages 2-5 (and their grownups) who thrive in fun and explorative learning environments.
Root Whole Body
2526 NE 15th Ave, Portland
- Shanti Om. Full Moon Sister offers prenatal and postpartum yoga classes focusing on a healthy connection with baby and body. Classes focus on ways to harmonize with the physical and emotional demands of birth and a newborn in a non-judgemental community surrounded by other mothers. All levels are welcome.
7334 N Chicago Ave, Portland
What did we miss? Let us know in the comments.
Latest posts by Ali Wilkinson (see all)
- Fend of Summer Boredom with These Board Games - June 21, 2017
- Portland-Area Ice Skating and Roller Skating Rinks - June 16, 2017
- Woodstock Mural Scavenger Hunt (with Prizes!) - June 15, 2017