Tucker Maxon School teaches children to listen, talk, learn, and achieve excellence together.
- Our Core Values are: Conversation, Confidence, Creativity, and Community.
- We’ve been doing this for almost 70 years!
- We focus on academics, social-emotional intelligence, and communication.
- Children have daily PE to build self-confidence, positive body image, and self-esteem.
- We love art, music and robotics!
- Our spacious playground has an organic garden, goats and chickens.
- Our gym has an amazing rock-climbing wall.
- We just added at treehouse classroom!
- Visit our site: tuckermaxon.org
- We serve children from preschool through 5th grade.
- We have 100-120 students.
- Class sizes are intentionally kept small with an average 1:8 adult to student ratio.
- No class is larger than 15 students.
Teachers & Staff
- We have experienced and caring teachers and staff.
- All teachers have Master’s degrees.
- Five of ten teachers are certified Teachers of the Deaf.
- We also have a Speech-Language Pathologist and Audiologist on-site.
- TMS was listed in the Top 100 Nonprofits in Oregon in 2017.
- Our school day goes from 8:15am to 2:45pm each day.
- Preschool (ages 3-5) classrooms follow the widely used Creative Curriculum, an age-appropriate, child-directed educational program in which children learn through play and stimulating hand-on activities.
- Elementary (K-5th grade) classrooms offer an integrated curriculum based on the new Common Core State Standards. Every day, math, reading, writing and spelling are woven into all areas of learning with an emphasis on strong communication and critical thinking.
- We do not, however, “teach to the test.”
- Our Early Intervention program (0-3 years of age) uses a collaborative, family-centered approach that helps deaf or hard of hearing infants and toddlers develop listening and spoken language abilities.
- Speech-Language Pathology (onsite) offers services to children in preschool through 5th grade.
- Our Audiology clinic (onsite) offers comprehensive services for students with hearing loss, whether they are using hearing aids, cochlear implants, or both.
- Extended Care at Tucker Maxon provides exceptional childcare both before and after school for busy families. Extended care opens at 7:30 am. Our afternoon session begins at 2:30 pm and ends at 5:30 pm each day.
Tucker Arts Camp travels the world! Over the course of seven weeks, children experience arts, music, movement and cultures from diverse countries around the world at our beautiful SE Portland campus. Our campus offers a treehouse classroom, large organic garden, chickens, goats, a rock-climbing wall, and plenty of space for children to be inspired by the natural world and enjoy fun in the summer sun. Registration opens in March 2018 for summer. There are two groups: one for children ages 3 through Kindergarten and one for children entering 1st – 5th grades (in the fall of 2018).
We didn’t know what was possible until we came to Tucker Maxon. -Amy Sage, Parent
With every bone in my body I believe in this program and I believe in this school. -Brandie Henderson, Parent
There is nothing I would trade for our Tucker Maxon education -Alumni Parent
Fast forward to today and he has a master’s degree in information systems, very gainfully employed, happily married and the father of two children. His life and our life would not be the same without the supportive, loving and generous staff and teachers at Tucker Maxon. -John Lenz, Parent & Board Member
We knew we wanted the best possible oral education for Vaughn. The reputation of Tucker Maxon was so strong, we moved here from Louisiana without ever having visited Oregon. -Kathleen Brown, Parent
I highly recommend Tucker to every family. -Brandie Henderson, Parent